The CEO of the world’s largest movie exhibition company AMC announced on Monday, that the company will soon be able to accept cryptocurrency Shiba Inu (SHIB), as a mode of payment for buying tickets online.
The CEO tweeted that crypto payment service provider Bitpay has decided to support Shiba Inu specifically because he asked them to. Therefore, AMC will be able to take SHIB for online payments of movie tickets and concessions in about 60 to 120 days. The CEO added that AMC Theatres is set to become the first Bitpay client to accept SHIB.
After speculating and flirting with adding the two largest and most popular memecoins as payment methods, AMC Theatres CEO –said his company will do so by March 19th. Mobile users will be able to utilize Shiba Inu and Dogecoin for payments in mid-April.
- AMC Theatres, among the largest movie chain theaters in the world, has interacted with the cryptocurrency space for a year or so by allowing clients to purchase tickets and other goods via bitcoin, ether, and other assets.
- However, many customers demanded the addition of the two memecoins that went viral last year – Dogecoin and the self-proclaimed DOGE-killer – Shiba Inu.
- The CEO seemed to have listened to his clients, but the process appeared somewhat sluggish. At first, the firm adopted Dogecoin only for digital gift cards and promised to do more later.
- In November last year, AMC informed that the addition of Shiba Inu is next on the schedule, but the team required some time to complete the technical aspects.
- With a February 28th tweet, the company’s CEO indicated that AMC has partnered with BitPay and will start accepting online payments with the two tokens on its website by March 19th. Mobile app users will be able to make such transfers by April 16th.