What Is Microdosing?
Microdosing is the practice of consuming very small amounts of a psychedelic substance to improve mental aspects like creativity, calmness, mood, focus or motivation. Psychedelics include LSD, cannabis, mescaline, iboga, and the psilocybin found in magic mushrooms or magic truffles
Microdosing is a very different experience to tripping or getting high, because it involves taking such a low dose of the psychedelic in question that the effect on you, mentally and physically, is very subtle and unlikely to disrupt your day at all. The aim of microdosing is simply to make your day a little bit better – and sometimes a lot more productive.Microdosing is a relatively recent phenomenon involving taking very small doses of some psychedelics.Importantly, this is a very small dose of the psychedelic that is not enough to produce a “trip” or the hallucinations often associated with these psychedelics .
The intention of microdosing also differs from that of normal psychedelic or hallucinogenic substance taking. Many people use psychedelics at higher doses for self-exploration, recreation, or spiritual purposes. On the other hand, microdosers tend to take these doses to improve their well-being or enhance their emotional or mental state.
At these low levels, many people do not notice the effects in the same as a person would notice a psychedelic trip. Many say that the feeling has no relation to a psychedelic experience.
Proponents of microdosing claim that taking these psychedelics in small, measured doses benefits the mind, making them think more clearly or feel more open throughout the day.
What are the health benefits?
- Anxiety—academic, general, or social
- Asperger’s Syndrome
- Athletic Performance – boosted energy and stamina
- Bipolar Disorder
- Contentment – aids in “living in the now”
- Dexterity – driving, playing a musical instrument, etc.
- Empathy – increased caring and consideration for others
- Healthy choices – better adherence to meditation, yoga, exercise, and diet routines
- Job performance – increased production, greater enjoyment and satisfaction
- Learning – promotes greater focus; languages, computer programming, advanced math
- Menstruation – eases PMS symptoms, pain, and cramping
- Mood elevation
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Psychotherapy – grants greater personal insight
- Recovery from addiction
- Trauma – reduces unexpected triggers
- Writing – eliminates writer’s block
Important things to note when microdosing:
- Set your intention.
- Be aware of your mood, thoughts, and approach to conflict and situations, many recommend to keep a journal for each day .
- Never ever microdose everyday. This is a potent substance, your body will build a tolerance.Also, it won’t work as well.
- If you microdose for a month, think about taking time off in between cycles, this isn’t your morning coffee.
Microdosing Guide – Dosage Ranges for dried stems and powder
Creative dose: 0.5–1g (test out these doses before taking at work!)
Typical party dose: 2–3 g (a full trip dose)
For measurements, use a small electronic scale preferably one that can measure in milligrams. To contain each dose and prevent a bitter taste, try gelatin capsules or vegetarian capsules, or to avoid the guess work of measuring out perfect doses please have a look at our 3 different types of microdosing capsules and our megadose capsules.
How Long Does a Microdose Last?
The duration of a microdose can vary wildly depending upon the specific psychedelic substance consumed. Users have experienced effects lasting as little as 8 hours and as long as 72 hours. Other factors include body weight, metabolism, and dietary habits.
Establish Healthy Habits & Routines
Starting a microdosing regimen is an excellent time to dial in your ideal habits and routines.
Have you been meaning to wake up earlier in the mornings? Exercise or meditate more often? Drink less coffee?
Making positive changes and developing habits to improve your life and optimize towards the goals you set can dramatically increase your chances of success.
Here are some of the most common lifestyle habits and changes to consider that can increase the impact of microdosing:
- Daily exercise — aim for at least 15 minutes of high-intensity or 45 minutes low-intensity per day (more is great too!)
- Dietary changes — try a structured diet like the ketogenic diet, or simply cut-out sugary and processed foods
- Sleep hygiene — go to bed at the same time every night and take measures to prepare yourself for sleep
- Meditation or yoga — even 10 minutes per day can have a profound impact on stress and focus
- Learn a new skill — microdosing is excellent for assisting learning, why not take the time to add some new knowledge along the way?